The sabbath and law
Read pp. 155 - 158 in Institutes of Biblical Law.
corresponding Rushdoony lectures
Video summary lecture (Andrea Schwartz)
questions for thought & discussion
1. Explain the concept of a “sabbath life.”
2. The Westminster Shorter Catechism in
3. If the sabbath is among the greatest of God’s gifts to man (especially in terms of what it points to) why do Christian and non-Christian alike resist it?
4. How can we be part of reclaiming a sabbath-orientation to our society?
5. Knowing what follows in terms of the rest of the commandments (5 - 10), why is the establishment of the sabbath principle vital before the others can be grasped and obeyed?
One of the surest ways to identify whether you understand a subject is to write a point of view paper (sometimes referred to as a position paper). This exercise helps to unearth areas of confusion, uncertainty, and/or disagreement, many times revealing that a number of unanswered questions remain. Once completed, you may submit your paper for comments.
After formulating your position(s) on the subjects covered in each lesson, a good next step is to engage in conversation (with your spouse, children, parents, friends, or co-workers) to better hone your skill in communicating the concepts you have learned and are assimilating into your own thinking. Do not be concerned about “messing up” or doing it the “wrong way” as you will do plenty of both! As with anything worth doing, practice will refine this skill, which is vital in order to fulfill the Great Commission. If you find you need some one-on-one interaction, you may submit a question or request an appointment.