The Place of Biblical Law in Society
Read pp. (insert #s) in In His Service.
Video summary lecture (Andrea Schwartz)
questions for thought & discussion
1. Identify areas where the church has relinquished its functions to the state.
2. Identify areas where the family has relinquished its functions to the state.
3. What attacks have been levied against the family to cause it to abandon the functions Rushdoony identifies as belonging to the family?
4. Why is anything other than decentralized and personal welfare an invitation to statism? Do statist programs work?
5. Is there a tendency for believers to forget the summons to care for the widow and the orphan and focus on national politics? If so, why?
6. How have antinomian churches become an arm of the state?
7. What changes can you make in your life that would allow you to establish your family as a central area of action?
8. Is this focus on serving the needs of others consistent with a theonomic and reconstructionist perspective? Why is there sometimes inconsistency in application?
9. Explain the biblical concept that faith without works is a dead faith.
One of the surest ways to identify whether you understand a subject is to write a point of view paper (sometimes referred to as a position paper). This exercise helps to unearth areas of confusion, uncertainty, and/or disagreement, many times revealing that a number of unanswered questions remain. Once completed, you may submit your paper for comments.
After formulating your position(s) on the subjects covered in each lesson, a good next step is to engage in conversation (with your spouse, children, parents, friends, or co-workers) to better hone your skill in communicating the concepts you have learned and are assimilating into your own thinking. Do not be concerned about “messing up” or doing it the “wrong way” as you will do plenty of both! As with anything worth doing, practice will refine this skill, which is vital in order to fulfill the Great Commission. If you find you need some one-on-one interaction, you may submit a question or request an appointment.